The Huffington Post, Washington, D.C.
Social Media Editor, Politics, March 2012 — Present
- Manage the social media presence of The Huffington Post’s popular politics section
National Journal, Washington, D.C.
Online Editor, May 2011 — March 2012
- Edit homepage and prepare photos for homepage usage
- Cover the intersection of government, politics and social media
- Manage National Journal’s social media presence
- Work as Saturday editor, overseeing newsgathering, copy and digital operations
Social Media Intern, January 2011 — April 2011
- Managed Facebook and Twitter presences for National Journal
- Developed concept for National Journal’s presence on Tumblr
- Contributed interactive features like trivia quizzes and slideshows to NationalJournal.com
10000 Words (mediabistro.com)
Contributor, October 2010 — March 2012
- Contributed to popular blog exploring journalism and technology
- Worked with co-bloggers to develop story ideas
The (American University) Eagle, Washington, D.C., 2007 — 2011
Managing Editor for Web/Senior Editor, December 2010 — April 2011
- Rose through the ranks from assistant Web editor to Managing Editor for Web/Senior Editor
- Grew pageviews 20 percent since last year; visits are up 51 percent
- Produced content for website when news warrants and on weekly basis for print edition
- Developed ideas for interactive features such as flash applications, podcasts and blogs
- As senior editor, oversaw The Eagle’s news section
BNA, Arlington, Va.
Intern/Reporter, Daily Report for Executives, May 2010 — July 2010
- Filed daily stories covering Washington for a family of specialized publications targeting bank executives, government workers and others
- Covered committee hearings, markups and House/Senate sessions
- Focused on Federal Housing Administration, small business legislation and Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac
The Washington Post, Washington, D.C.
News Video Intern, October 2009 — April 2010
- Edited video shot in the field for Web, on deadline and on topics ranging from crime (Metro section) to President Barack Obama’s first-year anniversary (Outlook section)
- Produced video from The Associated Press, CBS News and other sources
- Coordinated with Web producers on packaging of video elements
The (Westchester, N.Y.) Journal News, West Nyack, N.Y.
Reporter Intern, Rockland County News, June 2009 — August 2009
- Wrote 45+ stories for this Gannett-owned daily, circulation approximately 100,000
- Covered a chemical spill, a hit-and-run incident and softer stories
- Multiple stories were moved on the New York Associated Press wire
- When staff photographers were not available, shot photos to accompany stories
The Washington Post, Arlington, Va.
Politics Intern, washingtonpost.com, January 2009 — April 2009
- Wrote headlines, captions and blurbs for the website’s politics front
- Developed special Web packages to accompany The Post’s politics coverage
- Watched wires for breaking news and produced wire stories for website
- Assisted producers with research projects
mediabistro.com, New York, N.Y.
Editorial Intern, May 2008 — August 2008
- Copy edited, produced articles for media industry website
- Edited “Revolving Door” section of website by researching promotion announcements across Web
- Guest blogged on FishbowlNY and TVNewser, a must-read blog in the TV news industry
Regional News Network (WRNN-TV), Rye Brook, N.Y.
Intern, May 2007 — June 2007; June 2006 — September 2006
- Worked in news, production and graphics departments
- Helped write news copy on a weekly basis for two producers
- Operated Chyron, cameras, audio equipment and teleprompter for three directors
- Sought out by Human Resources as temporary vacation replacement for professional cameraman
Congresswoman Nita Lowey, D-N.Y., White Plains, N.Y.
District Office Intern, April 2005 — May 2005
- Assisted staff in fulfilling casework dealing with the post office, immigration and the IRS
- Gained firsthand exposure to House of Representatives and jobs in the federal government
- Associated Press election night stringer, 2008 and 2010
- Researcher for the 2010 “FRONTLINE” documentary “Flying Cheap”
- Selected as member of the 2010 Online News Association Conference student newsroom
- Proficient in Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, CSS, PHP, HTML, SQL, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office Suite, Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows
- Experienced in Avid, ENPS, Adobe InDesign, Quark CopyDesk, CCI NewsDesk
Society of Professional Journalists
Member, January 2008 — Present
Online News Association
Member, July 2009 — Present